The Service Learning Program promotes the leadership and personal involvement of our students in the giving of time, treasure, and talent to their community. Service is an integral part of our education since it provides an opportunity to shape students' values and helps to further the intellectual, personal and social growth of our students.
"Let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action."
Each student is required to complete a minimum of 25 hours of community service per academic year. These hours, due May 8, 2023, must meet all guidelines provided by CMCP. Students are responsible for logging hours electronically via x2VOL (our online service hours tracking system). Given the difficulty of completing service hours under COVID restrictions, students are allowed to remediate missing hours with no penalty in addition to the 25 hours due for the 2021/2022 school year.
All outside service hours must be completed through a nonprofit organization or agency. On campus service hours will only count toward the requirement of Freshman students. Upperclassman may earn on campus hours to use toward the Community Service Award.
In order to be considered for the Community Service Award, which is celebrated at the Academic and Service Award Dinner, students must also complete the following additional hours by Friday, March 3, 2023:
Grade 9: Mandatory 25 service hours PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 50 HOURS
Grade 10: Mandatory 25 service hours off campus PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 75 HOURS (this does not include hours accrued during freshman year)
Grade 11: Mandatory 25 service hours off campus PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 100 HOURS (this does not include hours accrued during sophomore year)
Grade 12: Mandatory 25 service hours off campus PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 125 HOURS (this does not include hours accrued during junior year)
Service Learning Guidelines:
For freshmen, hours completed within the school community or outside of CMCP will count toward the 25-hour requirement. For sophomore, junior and senior students 25 service hours must be completed off-campus at a pre-approved location (see list of locations below). Additional hours completed within the school community and any others beyond the 25 hour requirement will count towards the Community Service Award. (All hours required for award are due on or before Friday, March 3, 2023).
1. CMCP provided service opportunities such as service clubs and events like Spring Session.
2. Working with an approved non-profit organization, logging these hours digitally via x2VOL and providing verification for these hours. Here is a list of some (but not limited to) approved organizations and agencies that you can volunteer for: Service Learning Approved Sites
3. The agency or organization that you will be volunteering for needs to fulfill the following criteria:
- It must be in a non-profit organization, Church or Agency.
- No monetary compensation can be given to the student.
- Service will not be counted if it is to an individual, family member or neighbor.
- The agency or organization needs to be in accordance with Catholic Teaching