The Service Learning Program promotes the leadership and personal involvement of our students in the giving of time, treasure, and talent to their community. Service is an integral part of our education since it provides an opportunity to shape students' values and helps to further the intellectual, personal and social growth of our students.
"Let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action."
Each student is required to complete a minimum of 25 hours of community service per academic year. These hours, due May 11, 2020, must meet all guidelines provided by the Student Activities Office. Students are responsible for logging hours electronically as well as providing appropriate documentation to the Director of Student Activities. Hours completed after May 11, 2020 will be recorded for the following year.
All outside service hours must be completed through agencies on the Approved Service Organizations list. On campus service hours will only count to the requirement of Freshman students. Upperclassman hours must all be completed outside of Chamine-Madonna. Any student who fails to meet this graduation requirement must make special arrangements with the Director of Student Activities to remediate the hours.
In order to be considered for the Community Service Award, which is celebrated at the Top Ten Dinner, students must also complete the following additional hours by February 24, 2020:
Grade 9: Mandatory 25 service hours PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 50 HOURS
Grade 10: Mandatory 25 service hours off campus PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 75 HOURS (this does not include hours accrued for the freshman year)
Grade 11: Mandatory 25 service hours off campus PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 100 HOURS (this does not include hours accrued for the sophomore year)
Grade 12: Mandatory 25 service hours off campus PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 125 HOURS (this does not include hours accrued for the junior year)
Student Activities Guidelines:
For freshmen, hours completed within the school community or outside of CMCP will count toward the 25-hour requirement. For all other upperclassmen (sophomore, junior, senior), 25 service hours must be completed off-campus at a pre-approved location (see list of locations below). Additional hours completed within the school community and any others beyond the 25 hour requirement will count towards the Learning Service Award. (The due date for the Service Learning Award hours is February 22, 2020.
1. On campus service clubs: (Note for upperclassmen: Will not count towards required 25 minimum)
Best Buddies Club:
2. Selection of an approved service venue. Students must complete a Service Learning Form, ensure that the organization/ Agency signs it, and turn the form in to the Director of Student Activities.
- The approved organizations and Agencies can be found here: Service Learning Approved Sites
3. To add a non profit organization to our approved list, students will need to fill out a Pre-Approval Service Learning Form prior to the completion of service. The agency or organization needs to fulfill the following criteria:
- It must be in a non-profit organization, Church or Agency.
- No monetary compensation can be given to the student.
- Service will not be counted if it is to an individual, family member or neighbor.
- The agency or organization needs to be in accordance with Catholic Teaching
For more information, please contact: