The Service Learning Program promotes the leadership and personal involvement of our students in the giving of time, treasure, and talent to their community. Service is an integral part of our education since it provides an opportunity to shape students' values and helps to further the intellectual, personal and social growth of our students.
"Let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action."
Each student is required to complete a minimum of 25 hours of community service per academic year. These hours, due May 10, 2021, must meet all guidelines provided by the Student Activities Office. Students are responsible for logging hours electronically as well as providing appropriate documentation to the Director of Student Activities. Given the difficulty to complete service at the end of the 2019/2020 school year, students who are allowed to remediate missing hours with no penalty in addition to the 25 hours due for the 2020/2021 school year.
All outside service hours must be completed through agencies on the Approved Service Organizations list. On campus service hours will only count toward the requirement of Freshman students. Upperclassman hours must all be completed outside of Chaminade-Madonna. Any student who fails to meet this graduation requirement must make special arrangements with the Director of Student Activities to remediate the hours.
In order to be considered for the Community Service Award, which is celebrated at the Top Ten Dinner, students must also complete the following additional hours by Monday, February 22, 2021:
Grade 9: Mandatory 25 service hours PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 50 HOURS
Grade 10: Mandatory 25 service hours off campus PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 75 HOURS (this does not include hours accrued during freshman year)
Grade 11: Mandatory 25 service hours off campus PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 100 HOURS (this does not include hours accrued during sophomore year)
Grade 12: Mandatory 25 service hours off campus PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 125 HOURS (this does not include hours accrued during junior year)
Student Activities Guidelines:
For freshmen, hours completed within the school community or outside of CMCP will count toward the 25-hour requirement. For sophomore, junior, senior students 25 service hours must be completed off-campus at a pre-approved location (see list of locations below). Additional hours completed within the school community and any others beyond the 25 hour requirement will count towards the Learning Service Award. (All hours required for award are due on or before Monday, February 22, 2021).
1. CMCP provided service opportunities such as service clubs and events like Spring Session.
2. Working with an approved non-profit organization, logging these hours digitally, and providing signed documentation verifying these hours. The approved organizations and Agencies can be found here: Service Learning Approved Sites
3. To add a non profit organization to our approved list, students will need to fill out a Pre-Approval Service Learning Form prior to the completion of service. The agency or organization needs to fulfill the following criteria:
- It must be in a non-profit organization, Church or Agency.
- No monetary compensation can be given to the student.
- Service will not be counted if it is to an individual, family member or neighbor.
- The agency or organization needs to be in accordance with Catholic Teaching
For more information, please contact: